Since my family has an Irish ancestry, we first made this Green-Mash Potatoes Recipe for St. Patrick's Day. However, everyone loved it so much that it's now part of our Thanksgiving Feast. Green peas add a mild, sweet flavor while garlic adds some zip. And, kids think the chartreuse-green color is fun! - Elaine, MyPlate Nutritionist
- 7 potatoes (medium size, about 1 cup each)
- 1 cup skim milk (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons soft (tub) margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1. Simmer peeled, diced potatoes for about 10 minutes until soft when pierced with a fork.
2. Cook 1 cup peas in microwave for about 3 minutes; drain and reserve.
3. Heat milk until hot. Add garlic cloves to milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Puree peas, ¼ cup milk, and garlic cloves using a blender.
5. Drain potatoes and begin to mash.
6. Slowly add ¾ cup milk while mashing.
7. Blend in the pureed peas and garlic, margarine, and white pepper (optional) to the mashed potatoes.
8. Place mashed potatoes in a serving dish and keep warm.
9. Just before serving, lightly sprinkle Kosher salt on top of potatoes.