Curry powder and cinnamon give unique flavor to this zucchini, butternut squash, tomato, and bean stew. Add raisins or dried cranberries for an added "sweet note."
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 celery stalk (including leaves, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cup butternut squash
- 1 can 14.5 ounce low-sodium diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium white beans or chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1. Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat and add oil. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook about 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
2. Add zucchini and curry powder and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the butternut squash, tomatoes and chickpeas and cover. Continue cooking about 10 minutes.
4. Serve with cooked brown rice.
For additional flavor, add ½ cup raisins.