Shredded chicken is coated with yogurt, curry powder, and cilantro and combined with crisp celery and apples give this salad delicious flavor with a refreshing "crunch." Chill and serve with crackers or use as a sandwich filling.
- 4 cooked cooled chicken thighs (about 3 cups shredded)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 2 celery stalks (diced or sliced)
- 1 apple (cored and diced)
- 1/4 cup mandarin oranges, canned, drained
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh cilantro (and/or basil leaves)
1. Put chicken in a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix to combine.
2. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour and up three days.
If you do not have leftover chicken, you can poach chicken. Put 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a pan and cover with cold water (about 4 cups) and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off, turn the chicken pieces over and set aside for 20 minutes. Remove the thighs with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool completely. Shred and prepare recipe as directed.
You can also substitute 2 cans of drained light tuna, instead of chicken thighs.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion