This rice bowl with vegetables and chicken is simple to prepare and appealing to children and adults alike!
- 3 cup hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 1 ounce boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 small white onion, cut into small wedges (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup total)
- 1 1/2 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper (cut into 1 -inch pieces)
1. Mix soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add minced garlic; sauté about 1 minutes until garlic is golden.
3. Add chicken; cook about 5-6 minutes, then push chicken to the side.
4. Add onions to center of skillet; cook until slightly tender and push to the side.
5. Continue with carrots, broccoli, and peppers separately, placing each in center of pan, cooking until slightly tender and pushing to the side.
6. Pour soy sauce mixture into center of skillet. Leaving other ingredients and at the sides of the pan, stir sauce until it thickens.
7. Mix in with vegetables and chicken. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with an 8 oz glass of non-fat milk.
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget Toolkit by MyPlate National Strategic Partners