This omelet is lower in fat and cholesterol than a traditional omelet and stuffed with a vibrant mix of broccoli florets, red bell pepper, mushrooms and topped melted reduced-fat cheese.
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 16 button mushrooms (sliced)
- cooking spray
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg whites from 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (fat-free)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Cut vegetables as directed.
2. Whisk eggs and milk in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Spray 10-inch non-stick skillet with cooking spray; heat.
4. Add broccoli, peppers, and mushrooms; sauté about 3-5 minutes, then remove from pan.
To cook each omelet:
- Use cooking spray as needed.
- Add 1/4 of the egg-milk mixture to hot skillet, and let spread to cover bottom of pan.
- When egg begins to thicken on top, sprinkle with 1/4 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Dab 1/2 of the omelet with ricotta cheese and spread a portion of the vegetable mixture.
- Fold the other 1/2 of omelet over the vegetables and let cook about 1 more minute.
- Slide onto plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Repeat steps 1-6 to cook all omelets.
- Garnish omelets with remaining vegetable sauté mix.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with melon and whole-wheat toast.