To build on the main goal of the MyPlate, MyWins campaign — to help Americans find a healthy eating style that works for them through small changes they can maintain over time — MyPlate, MyState expands on this concept through a focus on local flavors, foods, and recipes. Foods and flavors from every state and territory in this nation can help us all create lasting healthy eating styles we can enjoy. MyPlate’s building blocks for healthy eating are a great place to start. Cook up some homegrown pride by using some of the resources in the lists below.
Common foods grown/ produced in Connecticut
- apples, beans, beef, berries, bread, chicken, clams, ducks, eggs, milk, oysters, peaches, pheasant, pork, pumpkins, quail, squash, sweet corn, turkey
State products of Connecticut
- State shellfish: Eastern oyster
MyPlate, MyState in Connecticut
- What does your Connecticut plate look like? Using the resources listed below, show how you use local foods from your state and region to create balanced meals by taking a picture of your plate and sharing on social media using hashtag #MyPlateMyState. For more information, read the USDA blog announcement.
- Teachers in Connecticut can use the Toolkit for Teachers to download a variety of MyPlate, MyState focused lessons, games, and activities.
- In Connecticut, up to 70% of schools are using local and regional foods to serve healthy, MyPlate-inspired meals to kids. That’s over $7.2 million invested in the local economy! USDA's Farm to School Census website has more information about school districts’ use of local foods in school breakfasts and lunches, as well as summer and preschool meals. And be sure to check out the story of Connecticut’s “One in Melon” award winner, New London School Lunch, where they participate in a Harvest of the Month Program and have monthly taste tests at all the elementary schools and middle school and then feature those item on the lunch menu. They also work with local farms to get produce on the menu regularly and have school gardens.
- MyPlate, MyState graphics (state icons, blank MyPlate for filling in your own foods, MyPlate Local Foods Menu)
- Toolkit for Teachers
- National Farmers Market Directory
- CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Directory
- The People's Garden