Why is weight management important?
- First: Find out what you eat and drink. This a key step in managing your weight.
- Next: Find out what to eat and drink. Get a personalized Daily Food Plan — just for you — to help guide your food choices.
- Then: Make better choices. Everyone is different. Compare what you eat and drink to what you should eat and drink. The ideas and tips in this section can help you make better choices, which can have a lasting impact on your body weight over time.
- The #1 source of calories in the American diet is desserts — like cakes and cookies?
- Americans get more calories from sugary drinks than any other beverage choice?
- What and how much you eat and drink
- How physically active you are
- Your body weight
People who are most successful at losing weight and keeping it off track their intake regularly. Tracking physical activity and body weight can also help you reach your weight goals.
Weight management for children and adolescents
The advice in this section is for adults. If your child is overweight or obese, consult a health care provider to determine appropriate weight management for him or her. Because children and adolescents are growing, their BMI is plotted on growth charts for sex and age. You can learn more about BMIs for children and adolescents, and determine your child's weight status using the BMI calculator.