Hand washing is one of the most important ways to keep your preschooler from getting sick.
Preschoolers are much less likely to get sick if they wash their hands properly. Plus, it may become a healthy habit for life! Children should wash their hands with warm water and soap for 20 seconds each time:
- After using the bathroom
- Before and after handling food or eating
- After playing with pets or visiting a petting zoo
- After coughing or sneezing
- Whenever they are dirty
Make hand washing FUN!
- Sing “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” or “the Alphabet Song” through while washing hands to make sure your child is washing long enough.
- Have your child pick out a special hand washing soap.
- Help your preschooler reach the sink easily by placing a stool in front of it for them to stand on when you are with them.