Healthy Eating on a Budget
Create a Grocery Game Plan
Save More at the Store
The smartest shoppers know that saving money is more than luck. When shopping for groceries, it’s about having a game plan and making smart decisions about what to put in your cart.
Stretch your dollar with these helpful tips:
- Eat before you shop. Grocery shopping hungry can lead to impulse buying and unhealthy food choices.
- Read the sales flyer. Sales flyers are usually released mid-week and can be found at the store’s entrance, in the newspaper, or on their website.
- Use coupons – but only for items that you know you’ll use. If you don’t need an item right away, save the coupon and see if it goes on sale. For more on couponing, check out Save More at the Grocery Store.
- Look up and down for savings. Stores often stock the priciest items at eye level. You can save big by looking at the upper and lower shelves too.
- Check for store brands. Most stores offer their own brand of products that often cost less than name brands.
- Grab from the back. Stores typically stock shelves from back to front, placing the newest items behind the older ones. Reach in the back for the freshest items especially in the produce, dairy, and meat aisles.
- Ask for a rain check. If a sale item has run out, ask the store for a rain check. This allows you to pay the sale price after the item is restocked.
- Join your store’s loyalty program. Most stores offer a free loyalty program. Get special offers and discounts that non-members do not.
Check out these other helpful resources for more information: