Healthy Eating on a Budget
Prepare Healthy Meals
Cooking for your family
You can easily prepare foods for a large family without breaking the bank. To save time, money and stress when making meals for your loved ones give one of these tips a try:
- Keep it simple. Healthy and creative meals don’t have to be complicated. The simpler the menu, the less money and stress it will cost you in the end.
- Allow your family to help. Divide jobs among family members. Remember -- kids love to be in the kitchen! With help, you can get more done and have more time to enjoy with your family.
- Enjoy yourself. If you feel yourself becoming stressed, take a deep breath. Have fun and enjoy spending time with those closest to you.
- Options for the holidays. Try having a brunch. Breakfast foods like eggs are less expensive and make a great protein for the main dish. Another fun idea is to have a yogurt parfait bar, where everyone can add their favorite toppings to yogurt.
- Make it a potluck. Potlucks are a great option for large families. Prepare a side dish and let each family member make the rest. It creates less work for you and allows everyone to make and sample each other’s creations.
- Tired of counting pennies? Discover more about nutrition assistance programs by visiting the links below:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Child Nutrition Programs